Friday 16 August 2013

When I Saw The Pictures Of Cairo

When I saw the pictures of Cairo
I wanted to talk to someone with words
that can make sense of what is responsible.

I thought of my friend Sabrina, she speaks Arabic,
maybe she'll say the translation of revolution is death
in any language. Maybe resolution
sounds impossible in the Egyptian ear.

Is there a language where war sounds like stop?
where military sounds like peace conference?

Can western privilege ever come at no expense?
If that happens will I be safe?

I should have better words
as someone who lives in a country
where the government doesn't jail poets
(unless they're poor or immigrants)

Are my words too privileged
to make sense of what is responsible?

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2013/08/deadly-crackdown-in-egypt/100574/

No comments:

Post a Comment