Wednesday 6 April 2011

NaPoWriMo Day 6. Poem 6. Haibun (Prose)

Yesterday Christian Watson challenged me to write a Haibun which is 180 words of prose that is then summed up by a haiku. Woke up extra early this morning to write this and not sure if I followed all rules in terms of theme but this is what I did come up with.

I have stopped writing. I’m trying to ignore the feeling I get
when I’m alone with my thoughts. I know what they are
but I don’t know where they want to go. I can’t
be stopped from doing something that might inspire an experience
that will expose the way I think. I am a museum and everything
is in the dark. I feel for the walls, still ignoring the grainy voice of
nowhere. I hold out a black map and look in a place I’ve never been
for the colour of lightning. My chances are losing weight, I might
never find my way out of this side of an empty page. I have stopped
talking to myself because I’ve stopped writing but the museum that I am
is exhibiting the way I breathe. The warm air is soft
and bleeds easily. Black is the burnt smell of all the questions that got
answers by falling onto the slow barbeque of time. ‘Nowhere’ is still a voice
somewhere in my head that says lose yourself... and then
I do.

Trust your directions
They will lead you far away
You might find a home.

1 comment:

  1. Yes!

    Mapping
    the criss-cross rhythms of Africa
    with the call and response of the
    song in my heart.

    with love from
    Dakar, Senegal x

    ReplyDelete