Saturday 2 April 2011

NaPoWriMo. Poem 2. My vices are women and poetry

I want women to hold my writing
hand so I can write poems about the things
I can’t say to them.

I trust the women I sit alone with.
they brush their fingers along my grazed
tattoo'ed arms, and ask
if I have a condom.

they are smarter than me.

The smell of girls that gave service
with berry lips
has faded into something
that could have been.

This is the universe where
I would take my hand and marry my words
if I was sure they were right.

I always feel like something is missing
but I never know what it is.

I feel like love is a type of clean, and
I’m too dark for it, too cut up.

If there was a licence for love,
I’d have points for speeding, so
I caution women.

I say
I am not the ride to have
If you don’t want to crash


I’m a love child, so
everything about me is an accident
or a broken
poem
or a good idea that doesn’t work.

And I want to die at my desk
thinking about how much beauty is born
from women and poetry.

1 comment:

  1. I am actually looking forward to reading 27 more days of...

    "they brush their fingers along my grazed
    tattoo'ed arms, and ask
    if I have a condom.

    they are smarter than me.

    The smell of girls that gave service
    with berry lips
    has faded into something
    that could have been.

    This is the universe where
    I would take my hand and marry my words
    if I was sure they were right."

    You have a gift and I am blessed to be a writer who happened across this poem b/c she chose to participate in NaPoWriMo this year. Great work, solid poetry...

    ReplyDelete