Saturday 15 September 2012

The Coloured Experience Exhibition At The Albany / For The Woman I Met Today Who Told Me What She Would Wish For (Poem)


                    The Coloured Experience Exhibition at The Albany (1st - 7th October)




For The Woman I Met Today Who Told Me What She Would Wish For

Give me a wish
and I will take it where the sky takes care
                                                        of everything,

I’m old enough to remember the world quieter,
    so give me another wish and I’ll be younger,
always with enough sleep and tickets in pockets
                                                   to take me onward,
beyond woods through days that are green before
they’re black
                       and I got no yellow on my spine.
             
Another wish and birds will envy
the smells I carry of other places,
they will envy the warmth
                                    in my air,
they will envy the view I found of our city
and the route
            I took to whatever it is I love.

Another wish and I won’t get my mouth
                                              out of her kiss,
the girl from the stars that fell to earth
     to discover
                       the planet I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment