Friday 13 April 2012

NaPoWriMo Day 13 Poem 10 Deptford

Outside a chicken shop in Deptford
a short fat man, 
looking like a giant egg in a brown shirt
asked if I collect coins.
I told him I don't, 
he scooped all the pennies
out his pocket and held them 
in his cupped hands and said
I want to give these to you

I wish I asked why
instead, I let him pour
his pennies into my hands
forming a small bronze mountain.

He smiled as he walked away
shouting a word that spun around the street

"LIGHTER!" he said

"I'M LIGHTER!"

2 comments:

  1. Ray, I heard your set at the Hackney Picturehouse on Saturday. Had to leave early to catch the last bus home so didn't get the chance to come up and speak with you, but wanted to let you know how moving your performance was. You are an amazingly talented poet. Love this one as well...the image of the man shouting "LIGHTER!" has been stuck in my head all day. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete